The KnightLites cordially invite you to consider joining us for ARRL Field Day 2017 from the lovely Blue Ridge Mountains in western North Carolina. The WQ4RP FD site is located in the Shining Rock Wilderness area, which is part of the Pisgah National Forest.
This wilderness area is named after the shiny micaceous rock outcropping in the top center of the photo below.
Looking toward Shining Rock from Black Balsam Knob
The KnightLite’s FD site is accessed via Black Balsam Road, which tees into the Blue Ridge Parkway near BRP mile marker 420, about an hour’s drive SW of Asheville. Once you turn off of the Parkway onto Black Balsam Road, continue straight for about two miles until the road ends at the parking lot.
The FD site is accessed via the Sam Knob Trail. Look for the Sam Knob trail marker near the NW corner of the parking lot
Sam Knob Trailhead at Parking Lot
The trail from the parking lot to the FD site is about 1/3 mile long and is mostly level with some washed out spots. Hiking boots are strongly recommended.
Sam Knob Trail
The WQ4RP FD site is located in a large, gently sloping area just to the left of the trail. Big Sam Knob is seen in the background.
WQ4RP FD Site
Field Day Specifics:
When: June 24-25, 2017
Where: Near Sam Knob — see coordinates below
Parking Lot: 35.325781 -82.882105
FD Site: 35.327142 -82.885440
KnightLites FD Callsign: WQ4RP
ARRL FD Class: 4A Battery (4 HF Stations + 1 VHF+ Station)
KL FD 2017 Band Captains
Band Captains will supply a 100′ extension cord for each station that requires generator power
100% Battery Powered Stations (Rig and Computer) are exempted from this requirement
15M/80M CW/SSB N4HAY
20M CW/SSB WF4I/AB4PP
40M CW WA4GIR
40M SSB KD4PBJ
VHF+ CW/SSB KC4PHJ/W4CX
The generator crew members will supply an A/C power strip for each generator
N4HAY Honda EU1000 Generator + Power Strip
WA4GIR Honda EU1000 Generator + Power Strip
AA4XX Honda EU1000 Generator + Power Strip
Battery Class Definition
During a recent FD meeting, our Band Captains expressed the desire for our operation to be categorized as a battery powered entry.
In keeping with the ARRL rules, ALL radios will be running under 100% battery power for the duration of FD. Logging computers may be run under generator power as long as they are not interfaced to the radios for rig control. If any CW station decides to key their radio via computer, they must power their computer with battery power. There is no problem running lights or other peripherals under generator power.
- This outing falls into the category of primitive camping
- There is a odiferous pit toilet adjacent to the parking lot
- Consider bringing a small shovel and baby wipes as an alternative to the above
- Bring hand sanitizer or soap, as communal hygiene is important for our mutual well being
- Expect the parking area to be near capacity–Carpooling is encouraged
- There is no provision for oversized vehicle parking at the parking lot
- Typical daytime temp mid 60’s F; night time around 50F or lower–Bring layered clothing
- It can get downright cold at night, especially if the weather turns rainy. Dress appropriately
- Prepare your tent for wind and thunderstorms–bring rain suit for yourself and ground tarp for your tent
- Sun protection is important at this elevation–hat, sunscreen, long sleeve shirt, long pants
- The path can get quite rocky in areas–Good, comfortable boots are strongly recommended
- Headlamp necessary at night
- Leave food in vehicle–All food taken to campsite must be placed in bearproof canisters
- No campfires are allowed in the wilderness area. Campstoves are OK.
- FD site has tall dew laden grass thru Noon and some blackberry briers
- Bring your own food and plenty of water, both for drinking and for personal hygiene
More info will be posted as we get closer to FD weekend.